Friday, October 4, 2013

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies


Can you believe we’re in the first week of October already?!  Where has the year gone?  I certainly won’t complain.  It’s been a great year thus far and I’m happy to welcome the fall season.  I’ve never lived in an area that experiences a full change of seasons, but I still get excited at the thought of holidays being just around the corner, gathering with friends and family over really great food, activities such as pumpkin carving and running through a corn maze, sipping on hot tea and warm apple cider, and pulling out all of those yummy spiced baking recipes.  Fall is just so warm, friendly and cozy - what’s not to like?

Over the years I’ve become known for my Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies (PCCC).  Come fall, it’s almost expected that I bake a batch for any social gathering.  A few years ago, my bridesmaids even went out of their way to make a batch for my bridal shower (in October) because they knew I loved them so.  I know...pumpkin and chocolate?  That was my first thought too.  But trust me on this one, these are so scrumptious!  They’re a little less like a cookie and more like a bread, but in perfect little bite sized portions.  Seriously, so good.  

Turning my original recipe into a gluten free recipe was a bit tricky, but I’ve had 3 years to perfect it and think I’ve found a suitable flour to substitute for a fabulous gluten free PCCC.  That said, let the baking begin!  What better way to get into the fall spirit, than by baking with a little pumpkin?




Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 1/2 C Canned Pumpkin
1 C White Sugar
1/2 C Canola Oil
1 Egg
*2 C of "Cup4Cup Gluten Free Flour" (from Williams Sonoma)  
2 t Baking Powder
2 t Ground Cinnamon
1 t Pumpkin Pie Spice (I use Trader Joe’s - otherwise a dash of ground nutmeg, ground ginger, allspice and a little lemon zest works nicely too)
1/2 t Salt
1 t Baking Soda
1 t Milk
1 t Vanilla Extract
2 C Semisweet Chocolate

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).  Dissolve the baking soda with the milk and set aside.
  2. In a mixer combine pumpkin, sugar, vanilla, canola oil and egg.  Mix until smooth.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Add baking soda mixture.
  4. Slowly add dry ingredients with wet until completely mixed. (Be careful not to over mix.  This is easy to do when using gluten free flours.)
  5. Fold in chocolate chips.
  6. On a parchment lined baking sheet, drop by spoonful and bake for 10 minutes or until lightly brown and firm.
  7. Let cool and enjoy!
*I also had great results with the Pamela’s Baking Flour.  These two flours gave me the best results.  I did try several different flour combinations (rice, tapioca, coconut, etc) but was sorely disappointed.  
**If using regular wheat flour, do 1 C Canned Pumpkin and 2 C Baking Flour.

I can't wait to hear what you think!  Happy Fall!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
©Pink Peony Style - Designed by BDD