Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Beautifully Pruned


source unknown

I can so TOTALLY and completely relate to this quote!  Can you?  

I'm sure we've all been there.  Sometimes it's a season of repetition, where we feel we're on a hamster wheel, running in circles getting nowhere and utterly exhausted.  Sometimes it's a season of difficult life circumstances, where all things seem to go wrong and the world is working completely against us.  And other times it's a season of stillness - waiting, waiting and more ... waiting.  

I've been in the latter part of all that lately - playing the waiting game.  But learning a lot about myself along the way.  Our move to California was a great adventure, an exciting one, totally life changing.  But adventure aside, it's been a long year and a half of waiting for me personally, as I've supported my husband in his new job, served alongside him in worship ministry and in our home.  While I once looked at it as a season of rest, a time to establish a new home and build new friendships with our church body, I'm now finding myself restless and uneasy with my lack of "purpose."  

In my quiet time lately, I've been quick to remind God He has yet to reveal my great "purpose" to me, but His response has been gentle.  I don't understand - I've given a lot of different things my time, energy and resources in hopes that I may find "success" in one of those pursuits.  I've even involved others in my endeavors and feel I've wasted their time and energy and resources.  Instead of success, I've found one closed door next to another - no scratch that, one bolted door - locked and totally unmoveable door after another.  I can confidently say that it's not for lack of trying or for fear of moving forward, it's simply because God hasn't allowed it....yet.

I'm a firm believer in God's promises.  I believe that He gives us promises throughout life in various ways - in this case, I found a promise and comfort in His word.  A week ago my daily devotional couldn't have said it better :

"DEMONSTRATE YOUR TRUST IN ME by sitting quietly in My Presence. Put aside all that is waiting to be done, and refuse to worry about anything. This sacred time together strengthens you and prepares you to face whatever the day will bring. By waiting with Me before you begin the day’s activities, you proclaim the reality of My living Presence. This act of faith— waiting before working— is noted in the spirit world, where your demonstration of trust weakens principalities and powers of darkness. The most effective way to resist evil is to draw near Me. When you need to take action, I will guide you clearly through My Spirit and My Word. The world is so complex and overstimulating that you can easily lose your sense of direction. Doing countless unnecessary activities will dissipate your energy. When you spend time with Me, I restore your sense of direction. As you look to Me for guidance, I enable you to do less but accomplish more. 

Then Jesus said to his disciples: 'Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. . . . Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?'  LUKE 12: 22– 25

Taken from Jesus Calling by Sarah Young.

Friends, wherever you are in life.  Be encouraged.  You're passing through a season (and I'm right there with you) - whether it be slow, difficult, trying, confusing or complex - remember that this is not the end destination.  Draw near to Him and watch Him prune you, perfecting you for the ultimate destination!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
©Pink Peony Style - Designed by BDD