Thursday, March 15, 2012

Portobello Eggs Benedict

Prior to my gluten free lifestyle, hands down, Eggs Benedict was my all time favorite breakfast indulgence.  Breakfast {or brunch} is my favorite meal to eat out, so every breakfast date usually included a cup of coffee and a glorious plate of english muffin, eggs, bacon and hollandaise goodness.  My food life received quite a blow the day I discovered I had to be gfree.  Breakfast dates we no longer fun, eating out was difficult with friends (watching them order whatever gluten filled dishes their heart so desired, and me salivating over their meal between bites of my salad), and cooking at home was a challenge.  Suffer no more!  I decided I was no longer going to miss out on my favorite foods, and I was going to make versions that not only I could eat, but that I desired to eat.

A while back, a friend of mine forwarded a delicious looking recipe of Portobello Eggs Benny, but doubtful it would ever taste as good as that english muffin, I never made it.  However, a few weeks ago, with my sister's arrival, I wanted to make a fun and unexpectedly yummy gfree breakfast.  Inspired by my friend's Portobello Benny, I put my kitchen skills to the test and boy did they deliver!  My gluten eating husband and sister gobbled up these mini sized Eggs Benedict and raved about them for days after.


Easy, inexpensive & impressive - Portobello Eggs Benedict is the perfect weekend brunch dish to serve to friends and family {or just you ;)}.  I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.

Gluten Free Portobello Eggs Benedict

You'll Need : 
  • 6 Eggs
  • 6 Small Portobello Mushrooms {washed and stemmed}
  • 6 Pieces of Canadian Bacon
  • 1 T Olive Oil
  • 1 t Vinegar
Hollandaise Sauce
  • 3 Egg Yolks {room temp}
  • 1/2 C Butter {cleanly melted}
  • 1/2 Lemon {juiced}
  • 1/4 t Salt
  • 2-3 T warm water {use as needed}
  • Cayenne Pepper {optional}

Eggs, Mushrooms & Bacon
  1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees F and have a cookie sheet or shallow baking dish available. 
  2. Fill half a sauce pan with water and add 1 t vinegar.  Bring to a boil.  
  3. One by one, gently crack eggs and lower into boiling water.  Let boil for 4 minutes. {NO LONGER}
  4. With a slotted spoon, remove from water and transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
  5. In a frying pan, add 1 T Olive Oil and set on medium/high heat.  Add mushroom to pan cap-side up, let cook for 1-2 minutes.  Flip mushrooms and cook till both sides are beautifully browned.  Transfer mushrooms to cookie sheet and place in oven to keep warm.  
  6. Add Canadian Bacon to pan {keeping juices from mushrooms in pan - add a touch of oil if pan is dry} and cook on both sides till bacon is warmed through and sides are lightly browned.  Transfer to cookie sheet and keep warm in oven.
Sauce
  1. Combine egg yolks, lemon juice and salt in blender.  Blend on high till combined {just a few seconds}.
  2. Add butter and blend again {just a few seconds}.
  3. Slowly add warm water to temper the eggs, blend on high {a few more seconds}.  Add more or less water for desired consistency.  

When ready to serve...
  1. Lay one mushroom upside down on plate.  Layer with a piece of canadian bacon and a poached egg.
  2. Top with hollandaise sauce and a dash of cayenne pepper.
  3. Enjoy!




- all images via danya collyer







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
©Pink Peony Style - Designed by BDD