Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Food : Parsnip Fries


Hi friends, Melanie from The Grecian Garden, bringing you a fresh new recipe.

On busy weeknights I, like you, need side dishes that are quick to prepare and won't chain me to the oven for a stir-a-thon.  Enter parsnip fries on the scene.  After peeling and a quick chop, I toss them in the oven, giving me 20 minutes to create the rest of my dinner.  


I'm constantly on the look out for a substitute for white potatoes.  I grew up eating the creamiest, mashed potatoes, this side of the Mississippi, on a weekly basis.  But it wasn't the creamy spuds that stole my heart.  It was the baked Greek fries that I couldn't get enough of.  Long gone are the days of stuffing myself with white potatoes, as they always seem to throw my tummy for a tizzy.  These days, I choose my carbs wisely - carbs that make me feel good.


Parsnips have a slight licorice flavor and paired with herbs such as rosemary or marjoram, they really come to life.  I hope you enjoy this quick weeknight side as much as we do.


Parsnip Fries

The thinner you make these, the crispier they will be.  I make mine more like steak fries to get the crispy exterior and the creamy interior.

- 1 lb of Parsnips
- 3 T Oil, plus extra for greasing {I prefer coconut, but olive oil will do.}
- 1 t Salt
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 T Freshly chopped Rosemary or Marjoram {or 1 tsp dried}
- Half a Lemon
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and lightly coat with oil of choice.
  2. Wash, peel and trim parsnips.  Cut into sticks as thick or think as you like.  Place onto cookie shed, coat with oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and rosemary.
  3. Roast for 20 minutes, turning half way through cooking.
  4. Sprinkle with half lemon just before serving.

I hope you enjoyed this recipe.  Be sure to check back soon for another yummy recipe!

- Melanie

- images via Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
©Pink Peony Style - Designed by BDD