Thursday, November 3, 2011

Lovely November & How To Cook An Acorn Squash

Friends, it's November - NOVEMBER!  How in the world did that happen so fast?  November is my favorite month of the year & for many reasons - it's truly fall and by now we Floridians usually have beautiful weather, it's the month that marks our wedding anniversary and my thoughts are filled with those sweet wedding memories, it's the month of Thanksgiving (my absolute favorite holiday), and it's time to indulge in all of those wonderful pumpkin and cinnamon spiced goodies.

November also marks the beginning of hectic schedules and I've already gone MIA on PPS.  With the holidays around the corner, there are so many fun things to blog about.  I really hope to make little PPS updates a priority here and there.

Today I'm busy packing for a little road trip to the Atlanta, GA area to lead worship for a weekend girl's conference.  I just love meeting new faces and spending time with sweet high school girls.  I'm really looking forward to it - pics to come next week.

You know I couldn't leave without posting a fun fall recipe though, right??  I don't know about you, but I love to buy random produce at the grocery store (usually what's in season) and figure out how to cook with it or add it to a dish.  This week it was a pretty little golden acorn squash.  To some of you, this may be a familiar fall vegetable, but for me it was totally foreign.  It had been sitting in my fruit bowl for a few days and while trying to come up with a quick and easy gfree dinner earlier this week, I couldn't ignore it's golden glow any longer - it was destined to be baked.  On the plate?  Pork Tenderloin, Baked Acorn Squash and Maple Glazed Asparagus....yummy, right?  So here's what I did.

Baked Acorn Squash
Ingredients
1 Acorn Squash
1 T Cinnamon
1 t Nutmeg
1/2 t Brown Sugar
1 T Maple Syrup
Salt (just a pinch)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 150 degrees and rinse and dry your squash.
2. Cut into halves & seed.  
3. Lay flesh down on a glass tray or plate and microwave for 5 min.
4. Remove carefully from the microwave (plate will be hot) and turn over, flesh side up.  
5. With a knife or spoon, carefully rub flesh with butter till the surface has been covered.
6. Sprinkle about a tablespoon of cinnamon, 1 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/2 tablespoon of brown sugar & a pinch of salt over buttered squash.
7. Transfer squash, flesh side up, to a baking dish and drizzle a tablespoon of maple syrup over spices.
8. Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until a fork can easily poke through outer skin.
9. Cut into cubes and spoon out squash.  Enjoy!


Isn't she pretty??


(I know, my halves aren't so even...it's hard to get it just right.)


















Beautiful!  

(As for the asparagus - I tossed it in olive oil, drizzled maple syrup and coated the heads with brown sugar and a pinch of salt.  Baked it for 30 min with the squash.  It's salty, sweet and crunchy!)

Have you made acorn squash before?  If so, how do you make it?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
©Pink Peony Style - Designed by BDD